As you guys already known my history with cancer, since my mother battled breast cancer in 2009 and she won the battle, but then 2 years ago, it struck again and the cancer was spread and destroyed my mother heart, lungs and kidneys.
My mother may not win the battle this time -she died on April 20th, two years ago- but she was never lose the war.
Couples of days ago, i met a new special friend via social media.
Her name is Heather Von St James.
She was diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma.
Have you heard about mesothelioma ?
Oh neither did I, and so we did the corespondent, mostly me asking Heather what is mesothelioma and her answer was shocking me.
She got mesothelioma because of asbestos.
Asbestos is not banned in the US, yet it’s the only known cause of mesothelioma. She was exposed to asbestos through her father's work jacket when she was just a little girl, her diagnosis came about 30 years later.
Once diagnosed, most patients die within 2 years. She is one of few survivors who openly share their story and work to spread awareness regarding the dangers of asbestos.
Asbestos was once used in more than 3,000 consumer products including household items such as toasters and hair dryers – some of which may still be in use.
Every year around 3,000 people are diagnosed with mesothelioma.
Heather is a survivor.
Today, she is a eight-year mesothelioma cancer survivor and have made it her mission to help other mesothelioma victims around the globe. She shares her personal story to help spread hope and awareness for others going through this, in hopes that one day no one else will have to.
In honor of upcoming Asbestos Awareness Week (April 1-7), she have created a webpage dedicated to raising awareness.
Here’s the link to her website : mesothelioma.com/heather/awareness
Please help spreading hope and be a voice for the victims.
LEARN MORE about mesothelioma and the dangers of asbestos.